Friday, September 19, 2014

Seize the Day


Seize the day is what we tried to do at Carpe Diem School! This was actually a medium sized Christian School in Mokopane that our half of the team went to.  Once again the day started out with our usual setup and preparing for their Assembly. Today's setup included having to find a spot where we could put up our net to stop arrows. This was the first place that we have needed to use a net as finding open space at the schools has not been a problem until now.

Each of the schools has been an unique experience as they all have had different features. This school had very interesting desks that were more like library cubicals around the outside of the space. The reason I say "space" is because it was kind of an open concept space with several classes in the same area and each class having a common activity table in the middle. Sorry I cannot get pictures to load to the blog at this point.  It would be so much easier to show you.

An overview of the day would include Ryan trying not to mention Kentucky in his introduction but Kevin quickly steping in to point it out to the kids so that they could enjoy the usual laugh.  From there we started with the oldest kids and worked our way down to the youngest.  There was basically two groups for every grade from seven grade on down to 00. 00 is preschool ages kids which made for a very interesting challenge.  Often kids below the age of seven have trouble pulling the bow so you can imagine the issues for 4-6 year olds.  We had to quickly adapt our plan and find a new safe way to help these kids shoot but to still give them a try for the first time.  That is kind of a theme here in Africa. You make a plan but need to be ready and willing to problem solve and change your plan in a moments notice because of some unforeseen change.  That also happened today with the Bible Study time.  I took the one group of the day that was the proper age for my lesson but then John Rickenbach noticed several girls in the next group that would relate well to the "Flat Pete" lesson that I had done and asked if I could repeat it for their age group.  So you just go with it and make the necessary changes on the fly.  That has been one of the best parts of working with this group.  Everyone had been very adaptable and work well together to change things up without any complaints.










There is one little girl that I have to mention as she was so different from all the rest I've met. We have come across several shy kids, especially if you don't say anything to them.  But most of them will come right out of their shell if you speak to them or show any interest in them.  This little girl was different. From the moment that she got to the front of the line to shoot she seemed overwelmed  with fear to come and shoot with me. She slowly walked forward but began to cry right away. She was sobbing by the time she actually got to me so I just gave her a hug and tried to calm her down. She oddly seemed more scared of the bows than she was of me. So after the hug she improved a bit and agreed to watch me shoot once. Of course at this age the language barrier was a bigger obstacle as well. Shooting once with her close seemed to help and now I was able to help her hold the bow and shoot two arrows at the target. Even though she was still crying she really did improve and I can only wonder why she has such fear. So please pray for her...I don't even know her name, but God does. Pray yet her confidence in life will grow and that she will become a brave young girl.  This is one of the treasons that I love working with Centershot so much. It truly helps build confidence in so many kids. We get to seethe difference from the first night when they use a now to when they are shooting confidently just weeks later. I only wish I could stick around to teach this girl more about archery and God and watch her confidence grow.  I'm so happy to know that this last school we were at was a Christian school that I believe will help her to get to that point.  Who knows perhaps it will be the Centershot archery that is the tool that will work to help her along.

So after all our school days are done we have visited a total of 9 schools and reached over 1300 students with the love of Christ, an opportunity to shoot a bow and arrow, and a chance to play with some crazy people from North America!  Thank you Lord for the opportunity!

Yesterday evening included some afternoon hunting, as a blessing from Jacques and his team, as well as a time of sharing about your own Centershot ministry after supper. I was able to enjoy one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen as well as watch about 30 wildebeest in front of our blind, plus a couple of warthogs.  God truly has blessed us with a beautiful world to live in and now I have seen another part of it firsthand!

I will share a little more tomorrow about our various Centershot Ministires as well as the events of Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I was really touched by your story about the little girl....I will definitely be praying for her as God brings her to mind. Sounds like another great day at the school!
    Terrace posted a picture on Facebook of you walking while holding a lion's tail....I think that story needs to be included in the next blog....a picture may be worth a thousand words but I'd sure love to hear the story behind it!! I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would like to hear that story!

    ReplyDelete