Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Final Day Success...In More Than One Way!

Our journey home is well over half way done now.  The last two days of our time at Shikwaru Lodge were busy ones. Seems that time slipped away and I was not able to get anything posted on Monday night.  So while flying over the USA I will try to catch up on my typing and post it as soon as we arrive home.

Monday afternoon continued with more hunting.  Jacques and the other staff along with John were trying to help all the hunters get out and find the animals of their African dreams. Despite a few delays and confusion over lunch everyone got out to do some hunting.  For me it was nice to spend some time with Kevin in a blind and discuss how the ministry part of our trip went as well as options and ways to try and jump start growth of Centershot closer to home in Canada.  We've had a special opportunity to travel so far to share Christ's love with kids using the tools God has given us through Centershot.  This has opened my eyes to new ways in which we can hopefully share the success of our local ministry with other nearby churches. Kevin suggested starting with other churches in our association and go from there. It's hard to picture how I might do this right away but as I look forward to getting our home ministry going again I will also look at ways in the future to share Centershot beyond the doors of our church.  It might be as simple as taking some of our equipment on the road to churches or schools in Saskatchewan to do special events and introduce church leadership and kids to the possibilities through Centershot.

So despite some quiet time and good discussion in the blind with Kevin our day ended without the nearby Impala coming close enough for a shot. It was looking like my African hunt was coming to an end when back at the Lodge there was talk that we would have to leave in the morning at 9 AM. I had hoped to still get out for one last morning, but it was looking doubtful that it would be a full morning.  Then during the prestigious "pink jacket" awards ceremony that evening Jacques said that we would be able to hunt until 11 AM on departure day. That was a relief to me as I looked forward to getting out one more time.  It wasn't so important to shoot something but it is in my nature to try to give it my maximum effort.

So before I go further I need to back up and fill you in on what the Pink Jacket is all about. Each time Shikwaru Lodge has a group of hunters the pink jacket is awarded to one hunter for scoring the most points in a group interview with Jacques being the judge.  This is like golf in that a low score is good. This is unlike golf, in that it is not a green jacket and the award is given to whoever has the highest score. It is basically a fun way for every hunter to review all his hunts and share interesting and funny stories that happened along the way. You just have to remember that after you are done others can fill in details, ask questions, and give their perspective of your hunts (you often have another hunter who was with you plus your PH). The best part of this is that Jacques has exclusive control of the scoring and will twist your story and give you points if he really wants you to win the award. So this time we are honored to be bringing this award to Canada for the first time. Because of a severe case of Ebola Buck Fever that Ardon had when he took his first shot at an Impala he won the award. Being the good sport that he is he wore his coat with pride until we left (it's the rules). It was a fun evening together to tell hunting stories and enjoy each other's company. It is amazing how far our friendships have come since the 13th when we all met.

I feel blessed to know each of the team a little better now and call them friends. I know that any one of us would do our best to help one another if the situation arose.

Morning came early for me and I was excited that Eugene, the head PH (guide) for the Lodge, was going to take me out early to get in a blind for our final sit. All week long he has been quizzing me about what I wanted to shoot and trying to get me to add a couple more species to the list. It certainly improves your odds!  High on his list was Waterbuck because they had a few nice ones that he had seen lately. So as we waited in the blind I continues to hope for a Kudu or and Impala but Waterbuck was on my mind. The spot we sat had a decent one that had come in a few times during the week so if it happened again I would have a decision on my hands with time fading fast.

As the morning progressed we had several different species come by. We began to laugh about it because every time Eugene would drift off to sleep I would spot more animals coming in. Someone please remind me what the PH's job is again. We saw Red Hartebeest, Wart Hogs, Blesbok, and then some Impalas were working their way closer. It was a great morning that every hunter dreams about where you seem to have constant action.




As we watched the Impala they continued to move in closer but absent from the group was a ram for me to shoot. Then just as the Impala were walking in a Waterbuck appeared from the other side and began to feed right in front of us.

The conversation between Eugene and I over the next five minutes was something that I've never experienced hunting before. Of course it was the quietest whispers as now we had six or seven Impala and the Waterbuck feeding at 20-25 yards away.  I was faced with a big decision.  Do I keep hoping for a Kudu or Impala ram to come in my last two hours or go ahead and shoot the Waterbuck?  Eugene informed me that it was a respectable trophy for size, but not huge. When I asked what he would do in my situation with time running out and the possibility of going home empty handed. He assured me he would shoot the Waterbuck if he was me. After a moment to think I said, "ok let's do it...for the children!"

So now we had to prepare for the shot and make it happen with all those eyes out there to bust us on any movement we make.  It was a terrific feeling to see that arrow fly true and know that I had just harvested my first African Trophy.  I'm so happy I could share that experience with Eugene and then the rest of the team when we arrived back at the Lodge. It was even better when I heard the news that Jan, our only other team member that had not shot anything during our time, was also successful on her hunt for a Nyala.  What a finish to an amazing trip!  Thank you Lord for that 'icing on the cake'.

I truly hope that what doesn't get lost in my retelling of the hunting stories is the ministry that took place with the children in the schools we served. They are the reason that we went all that way and I think I can say with confidence that minus the hunting all the same team members would have been there willing to serve.

Kevin said several times he felt that this trip was an experiment to see if we could effectively use a team to travel to South Africa to serve with RaG.  His thoughts nearing the end of the trip were that it was a huge success and will help set the stage for further trips to partner with Reaching a Generation and using archery to reach children for Christ together.  Jacques also felt the time was a positive experience and will have eternal value.  He emphasized to us the importance of developing long term partnerships with their ministry and this is another step along that path.  No doubt we will find additional ways that we can help and serve while we are there.  Hopefully each team that goes will see a more plentiful harvest!

As we all gathered together in front of Shikwaru Lodge to say our 'good byes' to the staff it was great to pray together and thank God for the work we could accomplish together for the Kingdom with His help and for the friendships that have been established that will last a lifetime.  We give all the glory to Him for what He has done!

Tomorrow I will sum up our trip home and some final thoughts. Over the next few days I will try to add some pictures as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment