Monday, September 22, 2014

Reflections From a Hunting Blind in Africa

 Our time here is starting to wind down. It is hard to believe how fast it has gone. I thank The Lord for the opportunity He has provided for me to come on this trip.  It had been special to serve with both Ardon and Rick. I'm thankful it worked for them to come too!  As a group we want to say "thanks" again. Your financial support as well as the prayers while we have been here are appreciated.  Some day in heaven we will meet a child who was saved because of this trip. We can only see the short term impact and that already seems to be worth it.  But only God knows how many people may be reached through the Centershot archery clubs in the schools that we introduced this special ministry to.

Today as I write this I am sitting with Zulu in a blind hoping for Impala or Kudu to come by. He has worked here since 2008. Please keep him in your prayers as he will be moving on from here to work somewhere else but he doesn't know quite yet where that will be. He is leaving on good terms and is thankful for all he has learned while working here but I'm sure it is difficult to be patient while looking for a job and knowing you have a family to support. To me he appears at peace and I certainly don't see any visible hints of worry.  I can't help but think of Psalm 37 as a prayer for Zulu and even more so for myself.  God's timing doesn't always fit ours but we need to trust Him and be patient (don't fret).  Verse 4 says He will give us the desires of our hearts if we delight in Him.  Perhaps in North America we don't understand how to delight in the Lord the same way they do here. We take things into our own hands too often to fulfill our own desires and short change ourselves of the blessing of letting God work.

While I'm in this hunting blind it is hard to be patient. My instinct is to go out and look for the animals but that isn't always the best. We have learned how spooky these African Plains game can be. Although I hope that something will come by I know that either way this trip had been a great  success.  Some hunting success would be the icing on the cake!  I know my heart is hard, but but God is working to soften it and change my desires to be more eternal.  So Kudu or not I will have no regrets about coming to serve here in South Africa!  I have learned that God does still take pleasure in blessing us and sometimes with the things that we want... so I will keep you posted on my hunt.  Just let me be clear that even if I don't get this Kudu, or someone I'm praying for doesn't get healed, or my vehicle breaks down and it isn't covered under warranty, or Zulu doesn't get a job, God is still God, and He is good! We need to learn to trust Him and patiently wait for the lessons He is teaching us.  My lesson may be a different one than yours but He promises to provide for us all. Matthew 6:25-34

Final note of the day:  I still did not see anything to shoot today. I will have most of the morning tomorrow as my final chance to hunt and then we leave the lodge to start our journey home. 

1 comment:

  1. Praying that you will be successful on your hunt and get "one for the children"!! Also for safe travels on your way home!

    ReplyDelete